Bringing you the latest updates in Arun and Chichester Districts and across West Sussex
VAAC FORTNIGHTLY E-BULLETIN UPDATE
Welcome to the fortnightly e-bulletin from Voluntary Action Arun & Chichester which we hope you will find useful. The following information, covers both Chichester and Arun Districts and West Sussex.
If you would like to include some information about your organisation including upcoming events, please contact us by emailing Sharon Westcott
Volunteers Celebration Picnic
Chichester (Tues 6th June 11.30am - 2pm)
With Volunteers Week fast approaching, there’s a rather special event being held in the beautiful private gardens of the Bishops Palace for volunteers across the region. VAAC take great pleasure in inviting local volunteers to a summer picnic to help celebrate this important week and to give the various organisations the chance to say ‘thank you’ for the incredible contribution that volunteers make to the smooth running of charities and community events.
Organisations are invited to bring up to seven people along for the picnic and are actively encouraged to bring camping chairs, picnic blankets and even gazebos for some all-important shade. Any information you wish to display about your organisation will also be welcome at this unique networking opportunity.
The Bishop of Chichester has kindly given permission for the use of these tranquil gardens where guests will be joined and musically entertained by Cancer United’s ‘OutSing Cancer Choir’. Spaces are limited and will be issued on a first served basis. A small donation of £5 per organisation is all that’s required to secure a spot which will go directly to the Bishops Palace to show appreciation for the use of the gardens which nestle just inside the historic Roman city walls of Chichester.
Tea, coffee and celebration cakes will be provided to add to your own picnics. Bookings can be made via Eventbrite and priority will be given to VAAC members and partners although non-members and anyone from outside of the area can of course apply.
You Can Still Lend a Hand!
It was fantastic to see people coming together to lend a hand in their communities to experience how rewarding volunteering can be, and the power it has to make a change.
73% of volunteers say getting involved gives them more confidence, according to research by the NCVO. And over 7 million of you say you are more likely to volunteer as a result of seeing The Big Help Out in action!
The Big Help Out is not for one day only. Their handy app helps you lend a hand all year round. Just follow the link below. If you have an hour – fantastic. If you want to do something regular, there’s an opportunity for you!
We now have a dedicated page on our website where we will be compiling all the information, resources and guidance that comes out in relation to the Cost of Living Crisis, and the impact on Voluntary Sector organisations. We will endeavour to share important updates through this e-bulletin as well, but please do keep an eye on the webpage to ensure you keep up to date with any changes or news.
British Land have commissioned the Centre for Charity Effectiveness at Bayes Business School to produce a series of factsheets to help their partners access the support they need, particularly as inflation increases the cost of energy, rent, supplies and wages. These factsheets will provide a range of information and links to resources covering topics from planning and operations to strategy and governance, and economic resilience during a time of crisis. They will aim to update and reissue this resource on a monthly basis for a further three months.
Many organisations are opening their venues up to the public as "Warm Spaces" this winter, somewhere people can go to keep warm if they are struggling to heat their own homes. Look at the links below to find maps of the "Warm Spaces" that have been registered so far (please note there may be different locations on each site.)
If you are opening your venue as a Warm Space you can register on these sites as well, so that people can find out what spaces are available nearby.
List of ADC funded Warm Spaces
Tea & Coffee Club
Jubilee Hall, Chalcraft Lane, Bersted,
Bognor Regis PO21 5TU
From 15th May to July 17th
They are also looking for a new venue for their carer group in Bognor. Must be suitable for around 20 people and have disabled facilities. Let us know if you can help!
From June 5th to June 14th
- As part of Dementia Action Week, the McCarthy Stone Foundation will be awarding 30 grants of up to £1,000 to small dementia clubs and memory cafes across the country providing an invaluable service to people in the community. Deadline: 26th May 2023.
- The Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities has announced changes to the £150 million Community Ownership Fund, to make it easier for communities across the UK to take over local assets that are at risk of closure. Previously only available to charities and community groups, the Fund is now also open to applications from parish councils. Round 3 of the Fund will open to applications on 31st May 2023.
- The Big Give Christmas Challenge runs from 28th November to 5th December this year, and charities have until 7 July to apply.
- The Parkinson’s UK Physical Activity Grants Programme is open to applications from organisations that help people with Parkinson’s to participate in physical activity and sports. Deadline: 30th November 2023.
- A new round of the Individuals and Families Funding from British Gas Energy Trust is open and is intended to tackle fuel poverty by clearing the energy debts of struggling households and responding to the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.
- The Henry Smith Charity’s Holiday Grants for Children Programme is accepting applications from youth groups, not-for-profit organisations and charities for trips taking place from 1 July to 30 September 2023. Deadline: 18th August 2023.
- The Royal Naval Benevolent Trust is accepting applications from voluntary and community sector organisations that are helping serving and ex-serving Royal Naval personnel and their families. Deadline: 30th December 2023.
- Cameron Grant Memorial Trust - Cameron Grants for Innovation in Mental Health, deadline: midnight, 31st May 2023.
- Patagonia International Environmental Grants, deadline: 31st May 2023.
- UK-German Connection - Flexible Funding, deadline: 31st May 2023.
- Idlewild Trust - Arts and Conservation Fund, deadline: 31st May 2023.
- Little Lives UK - Children’s Community Support Programme, deadline: 31st May 2023.
- Henry Moore Foundation, deadline: 11pm, 1st June 2023.
- abrdn Financial Fairness Trust, deadline: 1pm, 5th June 2023.
- The Hinrichsen Foundation, deadline: 5th June 2023.
- ILPA - Strategic Legal Fund, deadline: 5th June 2023.
- National Express Foundation - Community Grants, deadline: 6th June 2023.
- D'Oyly Carte Charitable Trust, deadline: 7th June 2023.
- Innovate UK - Net Zero Living Digital Accelerator: Round 1, deadline: 11am, 7th June 2023.
- Heart Research UK and SUBWAY Healthy Heart Grants, deadline: 8th June 2023.
- Learning through Landscapes – Local School Nature Grants, deadline: 9th June 2023.
- Laughology - The Happiness Fund, deadline: midnight, 9th June 2023.
- Co-op Local Community Fund, deadline: midnight, 11th June 2023.
- Freelands Foundation - Freelands Award, deadline: noon, 12th June 2023.
- Ofcom - Community Radio Fund, deadline: 5pm, 13th June 2023.
- Dan Maskell Tennis Trust, deadline: 13th June 2023.
- Matthew Good Foundation - Grants for Good Fund, deadline: 15th June 2023.
- Toy Trust, Deadline: mid-June 2023.
See all the details and more vacancies on our website
Core funded by West Sussex County Council, Arun District Council and Chichester District Council
Registered Charity No. 1113641
Company Limited by Guarantee No. 5667986
Registered in England and Wales
Copyright © 2023 Voluntary Action Arun & Chichester, all rights reserved.
You have given consent and signed up to receive the VAAC email bulletin
VAAC try to make sure that information is correct, but cannot accept responsibility for errors or omissions.
Our mailing address is:
Voluntary Action Arun & Chichester
The Town Hall
Bognor Regis, West Sussex PO21 1LD